Friday, January 27, 2012

Changes are Afoot

   I have been forced to slow down this week, recovering from what is hopefully my last in a series of many oral surgeries in the past 3 years. Neither my husband or myself make a good patient when we are supposed to be on bed rest. I must say, I have still been taking advantage of every moment in which there was a spec of extra energy, cooking mushy food and catching up on computer work. It is not often that I have days and days to reflect and spend time with myself, and its been kind of nice, if a little frustrating.
When I first began...
    If you read my previous blog before it was hijacked, you will recall my quest for balance in my life since starting my business. Its been such a struggle over the last 5 years, a string of "bad boyfriends" didn't help me feel good about ever finding a partner, and I was on the verge of burnout for the first 3 years. I was really down and out after choosing people in my life that were derogatory and jealous of my work life.  Meeting and marrying my husband has changed things for me. Its like this thought has finally crept in, " There is more to life than your work."
    I find myself wanting to hang out at home, cook, entertain and fix up the house. I really don't want to work at all lately, at least not to the extent I have been for the past 5 years. I am tired, and I want a life, and a family. So now comes the time when I try to untangle myself a little, build boundaries between myself and my business, and figure out not my quest as a single gal, " who will deal with my 80 hour work week?" but " How do I lessen my 80 hour work week to make room for myself and my family?"
    I have been trying really hard lately to make a manageable to-do list. I am a list maker, and really have been torturing myself with piling too much crap on a single day and then beating myself up for not achieving the crazy goal I set out for myself. I think this is the first step. Since the new year, I walk into work and determine what time I would like to leave that evening, (which is still late sometimes, and that's okay) and determine what exactly I can accomplish during that time. It is working, I leave withing about 30 minutes of when I set out to, and I actually finish the tasks on my list.
     My friend, Kyle Carpenter,  a fellow potter gave me this little gem of wisdom when i asked how he manages to balance a career, 2 kids and a wife, "It's all about time management." I guess I am moving in the right direction.

2 comments:

  1. I love how honest you are about the struggles of being an artist and life. I so enjoy when you post on your blog! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can Kyle explain that nugget of wisdom? I have 2 kids and a husband and my puppy and I am bewildered. Getting of of the computer would surely help me though... :)

    ReplyDelete