Sunday, March 25, 2012

Carrot Cake Pancakes!


I have been on a food cleanse for the past week, I eliminated caffiene, alcohol, processed sugar, gluten, and all animal products. Its been a really reflective and interesting time so far, my goal is to keep it going for another few weeks and to hopefully come out the other side with more energy, a healthier body, and more reverence for my body and well being. I really need to learn to respect my own limits and take better care of myself, and I think this is a great way to start my journey. My husband has been a great sport and has gone along with me, though we did declare Saturdays "cheat days" and I usually make us something for breakfast on Sundays -- our only day off-- that may stray a little from our normally healthy diet.

    I have been working on my vegetarian biscuits and gravy for a while, and I think it is just about perfected, so look out for that soon. My version includes Parmesan black pepper biscuits and mushroom veggie sausage gravy. Not cleanse appropriate, but delicious and suprisingly healthy.
   I found this recipe for Carrot Cake Pancakes last week and have been obsessing ever since, but how could I indulge while on my cleanse and not feel terribly guilty for it? I went searching, and got a little brave. I went over to post punk kitchen, and also tried some of my other favorite vegan blogs, Vegan Yum Yum, and Vegan Visitor, and then I * gasp* converted my own vegan gluten free recipe. AND. it worked!

Vegan Gluten Free Carrot Cake Pancakes with Vegan Cream Cheese topping


1 C Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Flour
1/2 tsp Xanthum Gum
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 banana pureed
1 C unsweetened soymilk
1 tsp cider vinegar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 C grated carrots
2 Tbl coconut sugar

** Coconut Earth Balance for cooking

By hand, combine wet ingredients, add carrots, add dry. Let batter rest 5 minutes, then fry on Medium-Low heat.


*Makes about 8 pancakes

Topping


4 oz vegan cream cheese ( I used galaxy brand, as it has no added sugar)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
pinch cinnamon
1/4 lemon- for juice
1-2 Tbl Maple Syrup to taste


Beat Cream cheese, add the rest until blended.
With Tempeh Bacon, and please add syrup! yum!





No comments:

Post a Comment